Skip Navigation
  • Residents
  • Businesses
  • Vistors
  • I want to...
This table is used for column layout.
Frequently Asked Questions
What requires a Building Permit?

        The following is copied from our local code...  When in doubt please call the office  (518) 943-2381 ext.101
ยง 87-4. Building permits...
  • A   Building permits required. Except as otherwise provided in subsection B of this section, a building permit shall be required for any work which must conform to the Uniform Code and/or the Energy Code, including, but not limited to, the construction, enlargement, alteration, improvement, removal, relocation or demolition of any building or structure, or any portion thereof, and the installation of a solid-fuel-burning heating appliance, chimney or flue in any dwelling unit. No person shall commence any work for which a building permit is required without first having obtained a building permit from the Code Enforcement Officer.
  • B   Exemptions. No building permit shall be required for work in any of the following categories:
1) Construction or installation of one-story detached structures associated with one- or two-family dwellings or multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) which are used for tool and storage sheds, playhouses or similar uses, provided that the gross floor area does not exceed 144 square feet (13.88 square meters);
(2) Installation of swings and other playground equipment associated with a one- or two-family dwelling or multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses);
(3) Installation of swimming pools associated with a one- or two-family dwelling or multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) where such pools are designed for a water depth of less than 24 inches and are installed entirely above the ground;
(4) Installation of fences which are not part of an enclosure surrounding a swimming pool;
(5) Construction of retaining walls, unless such walls support a surcharge or impound Class I, II or IIIA liquids;
(6) Construction of temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery;
(7) Installation of window awnings supported by an exterior wall of a one- or two-family dwelling or multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses);
(8)     Installation of partitions or movable cases less than five feet nine inches in height;
(9)     Painting, wallpapering, tiling, carpeting, or other similar finish work;
(10)    Installation of listed portable electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation or cooling equipment or appliances;
(11)    Replacement of any equipment, provided that the replacement does not alter the equipment's listing or render it inconsistent with the equipment's original specifications; or
(12)    Repairs, provided that such repairs do not involve:
(a)     The removal or cutting away of a load-bearing wall, partition, or portion thereof, or of any structural beam or load-bearing component;
(b)     The removal or change of any required means of egress, or the rearrangement of parts of a structure in a manner which affects egress;
(c)     The enlargement, alteration, replacement or relocation of any building system; or
(d)     The removal from service of all or part of a fire-protection system for any period of time.

What are the requirements for swimming pools?
All pools that can hold more than 24 inches of water require a Building Permit and electrical inspection. This includes in-ground, above ground and inflatable swimming pools. A 48 inch barrier is required to surround the pool area. For above ground pools, the side wall can be used as part of the barrier as long as the walls are 48 inches above the ground and the access ladder is secured. This does not apply to inflatable swimming pools. Fences, gates and folding ladders need to be locked when unsupervised. Barrier requirements apply to all swimming pools, regardless of their age.

What are the subdivision laws for Catskill?
The Town of Catskill now has a subdivision law in effect as of February 14, 2007. All subdivisions are required to be reviewed by the Planning Board before they can be filed with the Greene County Clerk's office. A copy of the subdivision law can be obtained by printing section 140 of our local code.

Does the placement of a manufactured home require a permit?
The placement of a manufactured home requires a Building Permit. This applies to both privately owned properties and mobile home parks. Additionally, there are now NYS mandated requirements for certification by the installers and mechanics which are being enforced by this department.

How many unregistered vehicles are allowed?
The Town of Catskill has updated their Junk Ordinance to include a zero tolerance for any unregistered vehicle. Therefore, no unregistered vehicles are allowed within the Town of Catskill.

Do I need a permit to erect a fence?
You do not need a permit to erect a fence if it is less than 6 1/2 feet in height. The Town of Catskill does not have an ordinance regarding fences. Just use your common sense when placing the fence in relation to lot lines. Remember that you will have to maintain the "other side" of the fence. Fences with a height of 6 1/2 feet or higher are considered buildings and will require a Building Permit and adherence to setback requirements.

What are the permitted uses in a zone?
The permitted uses for all zones can be found by clicking on the Town Code button and navigating to Chapter 160 - Zoning. Be aware that any new commercial business or a change in use of an existing business will require site plan approval by the Planning Board before the business can commence.